Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Working Out...


Are they kidding??? Ok let me start at the beginning. A friend from work (and yes, I will still call her a friend) asked me if I wanted to go to her gym with her and try a few free workouts. Well, hey it's a new year, and I would like to lose some weight and get healthier,... so sure why not.

Last nite we went. Upon entering we were greeted by a nice buff looking 22 year old guy whom we'll call Joe. My friend introduced me as her guest and Joe led me to an office to fill out paper work, releases and such. (no contracts) Then my friend took me to the women's locker room where we changed and got our lockers for our other stuff. So far, so good. I followed her then to the cardio room to warm up. Here they had treadmills, bikes, and eliptical machines and 8 or 10 TVs on the wall - silent. It seems if you bring a headset, you can plug it in on any device you choose to use and can dial up the tv you want to watch... or you can bring your own music, and just listen to that. This part was ok... I could treadmill most the nite.. But then, once we were 'warmed up' she led me back into the main workout room with all the weight machines. Joe joined us again and led me to a machine to get me started on. He did demo how to use it, made sure I could do it, then told me to do 3 sets of 15 and he'd return soon. (He does this with everyone, doling out their punishments, er um, exercises, and returns later) well I tried a couple wing presses, but found 50 lbs to be way too heavy for my first exercise, and first time in 10 years doing this... so I moved the pin down to 40 (should have gone to 30) and finished my 3 sets of 15. When he checked back with me, asked how I was doing, I said well I had to move the pin down to 40 and he asked "Why?" - as my jaw half dropped, I replied, "because 50 was too heavy!" (Duh?) So we continued around the machines... 3 sets of 15 of whatever he put me at. Once, doing some squats holding a large weight, I couldnt finish 3 sets.. it was just too heavy. After all these, then he led me into the leg room where I had only 2 machines to do, leg curls, forward and backward, and then he said I'd be done. I had news for him, I was done LONG before that! LOL

In my opinion, when someone hasn't exercised in over 10 years, and is as overweight and out of shape as I am... you don't start them out with weights that make them wonder if they will be able to drive home. I heard the pain came the next day,... HA.. he made the pain happen immediately. I went home and soaked for an hour in a hot bath full of Epsom salts.. and I can move this morning! Still sore, but I can move.

I think my husband has a good idea... for me, it would probably be better to do a water aerobic class which is much easier on the joints, etc.. I think I'll look for one.

No comments: