Thursday, April 27, 2006

What Happened to Teaching Manners to Kids?

Note: This happened a few weeks ago and I'm just getting around to posting it.

I'm the first person to agree that kids ought to be allowed to act like kids and have fun. Along with that though, comes teaching them when to be quiet and respectful of other people.

Case in point, someone brought their kids into work today. How did I know? I could hear them from 40 yards away... squealing and squeaking and squawking...and jumping off of a chair as if they were from Dr Doolittle's last cast. I don't know how young or old they were... but I do know that whatever parent/grandparent/guardian brought them in should be silencing them and teaching them to use their 'inside voice' ... even the dog on TV has been taught to do that! I also know that My mother or grandmother would never have allowed this behavior in public, or doesn't the "adult in charge" realize it is interrupting people who are trying to work? I guess they brought the kids in to see where Mommy or Daddy works.... or perhaps the babysitter or Grandma was taking them shopping or the like and stopped by for a few moments...

...Ahhh finally, I heard someone "Shhh" them... after all this time (at least 15 minutes have gone by.. long enough to irritate me, distract me and move me to writing this!) I thought perhaps the word "Shhh" had been eliminated from the American Parent's Language. Many times lately I have been in stores and heard kids screeching at their parents for one thing or another... the parent IGNORES them. I realize that "ignoring demanding kids" is one method of correction, but when it is interfering with someone else's shopping, reading, or whatever the public place is for... it shouldn't be practiced at that time. Parent's PLEASE use some discretion as to how you discipline your child... or in some cases... Please DICIPLINE your child!... That's what public restrooms are for... (hint hint)

Whatever the public place is... there is a proper behavior they need to learn for that situation. If you take them into an office,... Please... inform them AHEAD of time (just before you open the door to go in) that they will have to be quiet and careful to not disturb others that are working... at least I should be working instead of writing this... and I WOULD be... IF I could concentrate. Maybe it's time for lunch...

No comments: